About Span Arts
On this page:
- About us
- The Board of Trustees
- Span Friends
- Voting Membership
- Ticket Information
- Access Information
- Room Hire
- Job Opportunities
Span Arts is a community arts charity, based in Narberth, with a 30 year history of making a significant contribution to the arts in Pembrokeshire. We deliver a high quality and diverse range of music, theatre, comedy and voice events, alongside a wide range of arts and wellbeing projects to an area where people otherwise do not have access to the arts.
Span Arts is driven by the core belief that the arts have the power to improve people’s quality of life, health and wellbeing and we aim to reduce social exclusion and address issues of rural isolation through meaningful engagement and participation in community based arts activities.
Span Arts run an established volunteering scheme which provides opportunities for a wide range of people to gain skills, experience and take part in the community. This can be a vital lifeline for many isolated and/or vulnerable individuals living in rural communities.
Span Arts is committed to ensuring that all of our activities are inclusive, relevant and accessible to all and work closely with an increasingly diverse set of partners to inspire people in Pembrokeshire to awaken their inner creativity.
Recent highlights include:
- SPAN Digidol
- Remote Choir
- Raise Your Voice Pembrokeshire
- The Cheerful Project, a 3 year Big Lottery Funded community engagement programme bringing workshops and creative social activities to rural communities in Pembrokeshire.
- Narberth A Cappella Voice Festival – An annual uplifting celebration of song and the only festival of its kind in Wales, with diverse performances from acts such as Helen Chadwick, Sons of Pitches, South African Zulu Male Choir etc.
- Oed y Byd – An instrumental project bringing high quality arts to isolated older people by taking art into their homes, targeting the hardest of the hard to reach.
- A platform for music, theatre and comedy bringing some of the best and most interesting talent and stories to the people of Pembrokeshire.
“Span’s commitment to providing creative and sustaining experiences for different people in the community is an essential resource. A restorative and enriching service, the region needs this work to continue and develop.” Simon Whitehead
“I have worked in education in Swansea for all of my working life where accessibility and inclusion are buzz-words which are very rarely implemented. One of the reasons is because creating a safe space is difficult. I’ve never done anything like this before in my life, I came along, I was welcomed, there was no criticism and it was a great example of how teaching could be. I will write a letter to anybody reiterating this.” Lin Hill, Volunteer at Asylum Seekers Project.
The Board of Trustees
Span Arts is a Company Limited by Guarantee and a not-for-profit Registered Charity. The work of Span Arts is overseen by the Trustees, who are:
Catherine Davies (Chair)
Nikki Warrington (Treasurer)
Alan Cameron Wills
Lisa De Benedictis
We are currently looking for more people to join our board, especially people with skills and experience in the arts, business, marketing or events. If you would like to join the team and feel you could contribute to the running of Span Arts by becoming a trustee, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Friend of Span Arts and support the charity to keep the arts alive in Pembrokeshire. Love Span Arts? Make friends!
For just £20 per year, Span Friends will receive ticket discounts, complimentary brochures posted to your door and special offers. But most of all you can feel good in the knowledge that you are contributing to safeguarding the organisation and helping bring culture to Pembrokeshire.
In addition, you will receive the following benefits:
- Feel good factor in making an important contribution to the arts in Pembrokeshire!
- Receive discounts on tickets for most events held by Span Arts (usually £2 discount)
- Complimentary season brochure sent directly to each Friend
- Ability to reserve tickets up to 1 week in advance
- Receive special offers and deals ahead of others
Annual Span Friends Prices:
Adult: £20 per year (equates to £1.66 a month)
Concession:£17.50 per year for people in receipt of state pension, state benefits and students.
Make a donation today
Span Arts has always relied upon the generosity of supporters to help us deliver our artistic programme and outreach projects. As the funding landscape for the arts changes, it is becoming more essential than ever for organisations like ours to raise money in this way to guarantee a bold and exciting future.
Every penny received goes straight into enabling us to deliver the following important work:
- Reducing issues of social isolation and rural deprivation through meaningful engagement and participation in community-based arts activities for everyone
- Supporting artists and musicians as part of our commitment to paying practitioners and providing access to our online activities for free, which is so important at this time.
- Making the arts accessible and affordable by offering discounts and concessions, and by keeping our prices down to engage a wide range of people in the arts
- Continuing to support our Volunteers, to nurture their ideas and realise some great online projects
BECOME A VOTING MEMBER
Span is a Company Limited by Guarantee without a Share Capital. It therefore has Members who act as guarantors of the Charity.
In accordance with Span’s Articles of Association anyone can become a Member of Span Arts providing:
- You are over 18
- Make a payment of £1
- Agree to act as guarantors of the Charity i.e. you guarantee to contribute towards any debts owed by SPAN. This amount is limited to £1.
- Your Application will be approved by SPAN ARTS’ BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- You abide by the Terms and Conditions*, which are set out below.
As a member of the charity this enables you to vote on topics raised at the annual AGM.
WHAT WILL I RECEIVE IN RETURN?
As a Member of Span Arts you are entitled to:
- Attend the AGM and other general meetings.
- To vote to elect those who wish to sit on the Board of Trustees.
- Be informed on all major developments affecting Span Arts business and services
- Access to Span Arts’ Annual Report and End of Year Accounts.
- Opportunities to seek election to the Board of Trustees.
To apply please pay your one off payment of £1.
If your application is unsuccessful the £1 will be treated as a donation to SPAN.
*TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- I agree to act as guarantor of the Charity and to contribute towards any debts owed by SPAN. This amount is limited to £1.
- I agree that my name will appear on the Register of Members
- I agree to take responsibility that my information is kept up to date and accurate.
Advance ticket sales are available until 2pm before an evening event and 12:30pm before a matinee performance.
- Claimants for state pension, incapacity benefit or Job Seekers Allowance
- Full time students
- 16 and under
- Disabled people are entitled to bring their carer free of charge
- Children of 14 and under are eligible for child’s price
- Infants aged 2 and under are entitled to free entry
- Family tickets include any 4 people
- Buy 10 tickets for same event and get 1 free
Span Arts is a non-venue based community arts organisation, delivering a programme of arts and events across Pembrokeshire from our office premises in Narberth. We use a wide variety of venues including village halls, community centres and outdoor settings along with our main venue The Queens Hall in Narberth. We are committed to ensuring that all our venues are fully accessible however, some events are set in small rural venues and outdoor settings where accessibility is sometimes limited.
Span Arts is a proud member of Hynt, a new national access scheme that works with theatres and arts centre in Wales to make sure there is a consistent offer available for visitors with an impairment or specific access requirements and their carers or personal assistants. We offer a free ticket to carers and personal assistants to accompany a Hynt scheme member to any of our events.
For more details visit http://www.hynt.co.uk/en/
As well as being our volunteering and administrative centre, the Span Arts Gallery space is available for hire and suitable for running small events, workshops, talks and meetings.
• Gallery Hire:
- £30 up to 3 hours
- £60 up to 8 hours
- £20 up to 3 hours
- £40 up to 8 hours
- Capacity : 30
- Free access to wifi
- Plus additional £5 for hire of projector, £2.50 for disposal of rubbish, £5 for room set up
• Hire of office/studio/workshop space:
- £200 p/month
- Dimensions – 6 x 4m
- Space suitable for 3-4 workers
- Premises insurance covered but tenant responsible for insurance of their own contents and activities
• Hot Desk in main office
- Available at £10 per day
- Access to Span Arts facilities
- Bring your own computer
• All room hire includes access to:
- Heat and light
- Parking (but spaces limited)
For more information and bookings please contact the office on 01834 869 323
The Gift of Winter closes on Sunday! Why not try out some of the creative play activities over the weekend. Minimal… https://t.co/ABpIQ9UWkI4 weeks ago • reply • retweet • favourite